Wednesday, December 16, 2009

'Digg'ing for Popularity

Finally, a site like no one has ever seen before…a refreshing popular media reference offering information on everything from gaming to science. Digg enables readers to access any kind of information by submitting stories and having readers vote and comment on the stories appearing on their screen. If you like something that you see, you press the little ‘digg’ button with the thumbs up in the left hand corner and the stories that are ‘dugg’ mostly during the day appear on the front page of the site.
Never having used Digg before, I decided to take a look. As I meandered my way
around the site, I found some very irrelevant information that couldn’t possibly be a top priority in someone’s day. However, some of the stories are there for pure entertainment, such as one I found about things not to say in a work setting http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/worklife/12/16/cb.worst.phrases.work/index.html?eref=rss_latest. As this might not be hard-hitting news, it was interesting, and entertaining, to me. Is this what Digg is aiming for? Finding the weirdest collection of interesting stories from different news sites? Are they making a step to deviate from the normal boring news website?
Whatever the answer is, I’m impressed and I’ve officially joined Team
Digg. For a young mind like mine that is easily distracted, it’s entertaining and stress relieving to see a serious news story and then, right below it, see an add for the top talk show appearances of 2009 followed by someone saying why some gift cards are better than others. My tangential mind loves bouncing around between these random topics, but I can see how mature adults (or even more serious college students) would prefer to view a site like The New York Times, a site with cutthroat journalists who are potentially hiding their true feelings because they want to get their measly paycheck. With Digg, the possibilities seem endless. Since the Times is dry at times and Twitter gives me a headache, I’ve found a new home for news in Digg. Yay, me.
So, Digg made the first move and created something original that had not yet been attempted. They’re at least making a small profit thanks to the ads in the corner of the page…and they’re not even pop-up ads! Digg just keeps ‘digg’ing it’s way deeper and deeper into my heart…

4 comments:

  1. digg is interesting im not all that familiar with it however it does seem very interesting and a good tool..i just found out about it this yr and it seems like they are making more and more improvements..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I've never heard of Digg but it seems like it would be very interesting to check out. I love how your blogs introduce more and more new things to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of Digg either. Sounds intriguing, but yet another webstie that will keep people staring at a computer screen?!

    ReplyDelete