Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Seriously, Stop ‘Tweeting’ Everything…

Ok, so at first, Twitter started out like Facebook, a mature social-networking system that was initially aimed toward businesses. I remember when Twitter was first introduced, I was working at a marketing agency and one of my jobs was to look into Twitter and see if it could benefit the company I was working for. Then, it seemed like an effective way to promote a new product or keep business contacts. However, Twitter has quickly escalated into an overwhelming mass of ‘status updates’.
While I thought Twitter was a step in the right direction for businesses, I didn’t feel like it was as cool as Facebook, so being the stubborn person that I am, I refused to join. That was until my Communications class where we had to focus on promoting our in-class blogs where I decided
to finally join the twitter craze.
To my disgust, I found that I got a headache from the constant Packers and Indiana Pacers updates every 5 minutes. I found a video sharing similar feelings to mine… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfG2Em8SHk4. In this video, the man talking discusses the chaos of Twitter and how confusing it is.
I’m beginning to see a parallel between social networking systems that start out being elitist are becoming a playground for middle school students as well. Take Facebook, for example. Facebook started out as only being available at a couple schools, then all colleges, then high school students, then middle school students, then parents, then PETS?! The whole concept of communication is being lost when people create Facebook accounts for their dogs and cats. But how did such an exclusive company like Facebook expand to so may outside groups? Sure, it’s true that Facebook is now extremely popular. But look at the transition that has happened thus far with Twitter, starting out as an opportunity for businesses to market their products and attract potential buyers to someone like me tweeting about Dowling volleyball or Wisconsin every chance I get. Ah, how the mighty have fallen…
Is there ever going to be a social network that will remain exclusive? Let’s hope so…and let’s hope I meet the criteria, because I want to be part of it!

5 comments:

  1. amen to that... idk though i have started using it much more myself it gets addicting lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that Twitter is only a specific part of Facebook that someone made into a website. I personally think that Twitter is also more famous for Celebrities and making sure that everyone keeps up with the latest celebrity gossip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As great as an idea as it is to have exclusive social networks I highly doubt that will ever happen. There are too many egocentric people out there that will do anything to benefit themselves. Networks are the perfect way to get your name out there. They could care less if that means opening the whole site up to random people in order to turn a profit. It only takes one person or business to open the door to other opportunists. So until everyone in the world decides that social networks are going to be strictly for contacting friends, there will be no exclusiveness. I feel like this egocentrism is also why people update their twitter status so often. They want people to constantly be thinking about them, the more posts they put up the more people read about them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit when I first found out about twitter I thought it was a dumb idea because who really cares what you're doing every 5 seconds. However, since the encouragement of our media class I am completely addicted to twitter. I think it's cool how it's a totally different source of news and to find out what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Twitter is relevant if not important for journalism and communication arts.

    Journalism is about the "now"; what's happening today, who can you get ahold of, finding out minute details that may not seem important, but can make or break the legitimacy of a story.

    That's fast-paced business.

    I don't think Twitter is how people should talk to each other, I don't think Twitter is how people should introduce themselves or conduct professional or even social business.

    But when you need to let the people you're working with know what you're up to at that minute because your story's due at 6pm and they need to know whether to cut it or not, Twitter is a good way to let them know.

    And yea there's e-mail, and yea there's Facebook, but sometimes all you need is a status update.

    ReplyDelete